Monday, December 29, 2008

11 Weeks Update

Weight:  +10 lbs 
Fitness:  1 session of prenatal yoga DVD (and a ton of shopping should count)
Food Cravings:  back to normal
Sleep Count:  normal

I met my new Ob/gyn last week.  Aside from sitting in the waiting room for 45 mins and the entire appointment taking 2 hours, all in all it was a good visit.  He did a quick ultrasound to check heartbeats (sorry, no pictures).  Here's a quick Q&A from my visit:

If the babies are down there, what's all this up here (as I grab my belly)?
It's a combination of existing fat and stored fat for the pregnancy.

Do I need to be concerned about pre-term labor?
Not right now.  It is a possibility, but twins tend to develop faster than singleton's anyway.  They show accelerated lung development in the third trimester.

What about preeclampsia?
Preeclampsia (pregnancy-induced hypertension) typically affects teen pregnancies and older pregnant women.  There is nothing you can do to prevent it.  You either will or you won't get it.  

I've gained 10 lbs. so far, should I be concerned with my weight gain?
I don't recommend a specific number in weight gain for my patients.  Instead I like to focus on eating healthy and exercising.  As long as you are doing both those things, your body will gain what it needs for your individual pregnancy.  If you are truly concerned about your weight, keep a food journal (sounds like a lot of trouble, I'd just rather complain about my weight).

Do I need to take additional prenatal vitamins since I'm carrying twins?
I like all my patients to take a prescription vitamin, it has more folic acid and fatty acid supplements (and just happens to be a huge purple horse pill).

I'm sure there was more, but those were the questions I remember at the moment.  I won't go back for another visit until the middle of January.  

Apologies to all for not posting more (bloggers deserve vacation days too).  Things should be back to normal now that Christmas is over.  

No comments: