Friday, February 27, 2009

Baby Bonding Is For The Birds

I keep hearing--and reading, I will begin to bond with my babies while they are in the womb.  Some people say the bonding occurs when you hear their first heartbeats (not really), see them move on an ultrasound (felt too surreal) or begin to feel them kicking (okay, a little).  

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why I'm not all gushy over these little munchkins.  For a while I thought it might be because I'm having twins.  I'm not always sure which tyke is kicking me.  Plus, if all this psycho babble about a mind/body link between pregnant mommy and babies is true, I don't want to subconsciously give more attention to one than the other (there's plenty of time to deal with that jealousy once their born).

Then, suddenly yesterday, I had a real bona fide baby bonding moment!  It wasn't a kick, or an ultrasound or a heartbeat.  No, it was a visit to the promised land for some retail therapy.   I stopped by Babies R Us to update/add to our registry (Dave was surprised we had one).  I decided to scan some baby clothing and surprised myself when I started getting really excited about dressing our future living, breathing baby dolls in cute summer dresses, onesies and cuddly little pajamas (the ones with feet totally rock).

I'm sure this unexpected euphoria was partially fueled by using the special 'expectant moms only' parking spot for the first time.  I felt so special I couldn't stop myself from taking a picture of the sacred moment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It took me a few weeks AFTER he got here to bond with bebe.

It took a while, but soon we couldn't imagine life without him. He was always meant to be ours. It was like slowly falling in love. Now, I can't keep my hands off him. :)

Congratulations on your bonding experience. LOVE YOU!!