Sunday, April 25, 2010

Back On Track

Alright folks, I've abandoned you recently and in turn you've secretly cried yourself to sleep at night (or maybe that was just Mirabelle).  So, what have I been doing this past week (aside from nurturing human life)?

Uncle Charlie came to visit last weekend.   We're campaigning heavily for him to move to Wilmington instead of Charlotte.  Here are some key selling points:
  1. Free Laundry and Sunday lunch service.
  2. Small town charm with big college town lifestyle.
  3. Beautiful biking weather 265+ days per year.
  4. BEACHES (free, cheap, easy entertainment).
  5. Professional soccer team:  Wilmington Hammerheads (yes, you too could be one of 5 people attending these games).
  6. Cheap downtown bars (making it 'rain' money you didn't have never felt so good).
  7. The world's cutest niece and nephew this side of the Mississippi available for social calls.
Unfortunately, after explaining the hidden meaning behind selling point #6 Dave now vetoes any attempt to move Uncle Charlie within a 20 mile radius of our house.

After Uncle Charlie's visit we drove Daddy to the airport for an all expense paid trip to Rochester, NY for a 5 night stay on a Sleep Number bed (no, not bitter).  I took this opportunity to pack the babies up and head to our old stomping grounds of Charlotte, NC.

Folks, this was my first out-of-town trip with the babies ALONE (technically I was only alone for the 4-hour drive).  We stayed with some beautiful friends and spent the week being spoiled rotten with good food, great shopping and fabulous people.

Here's what I learned on my first solo adventure:

  1. Don't do it, it's really hard.  (Let me clarify, my friends were PHENOMENAL for letting me turn their house into a Finn & Belle playground.  However, regardless of their generosity, my mother guilt for temporarily disrupting their lifestyle and the babies' made it extremely difficult to relax).
  2. The day you commit to a trip will be the day your babies learn to crawl, climb, stand and/or walk (meaning a new level of baby proofing in someone else's home begins).
  3. Don't pack a ton of toys, buy one or two new ones when you get in town (works like magic).
  4. Skip bath time (especially if your babies have started pooping in the tub--no joke, three days in a row = boycotting bath time till Daddy is home to deal with this new development).
  5. Twins provide a good lesson in birth control.
On the positive side, the couple I stayed with still wants to start a family.  Apparently, our 'invasion' sparked some great conversations on how to prepare for  parenthood (or at least that's what they're telling me in an effort to spare my feelings).

No comments: