Monday, October 4, 2010

Life In A Test Tube

Today the winner of the 2010 Nobel Prize for Medicine was awarded to Robert Edwards.  I don't know this man, but he has profoundly affected my life.  He pioneered the science behind In Vitro Fertilization and thus made it possible for Finn & Belle to call me 'Mama'.

I struggled early in our IVF process with the moral principles of fertility treatment (check this post).  Did science overstep it's boundaries by making it possible for humans to birth 'litters' of children?  Did we defy God's will by conceiving through 'unnatural' measures or was it God's will for Dr. Edwards to develop IVF?

I don't know these answers and really could care less where the truth lies.  One thing I do know, now that I've experienced motherhood, is that life is the real gift.  Whether you adopt, foster or create, raising a human life is a beautiful thing (well, at least today it is . . . while they're napping).

So, thank you Dr. Robert Edwards for giving Dave and I the opportunity to love Finn & Belle.  

No comments: