Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Politics of Family

Well, we've talked about three out of four taboos on this blog (sex, money, and religion) might as well talk about politics.  Here's a brief history of my family and politics:

  • My Grandma has voted Democrat most of her life
  • Her two children are Republicans (apparently the Democrat gene skips a generation)
  • My sister and I are Democrats
  • My two younger brothers are Independents (they'll probably be Republicans because 'guns are cool')
  • My baby sister is too young to vote
  • My mother just became a US citizen a few years ago! (and currently an Independent)
Alright, so what does this all mean?  Well, for the first time in her 80+ years, my Grandma is seriously considering voting Republican (I believe her exact words were 'I'm voting for Palin, not McCain').  In an equal reversal of roles, my father (aka Rush Limbaugh Jr.) was caught making fun of Palin.  Essentially he wonders why McCain didn't ask my Mom to be his running mate, she also has five children.  

My Dad's comment got me thinking maybe my Mom would make a good Vice President.  Here's why:
  • She has 15 years public service experience (she's a high school teacher)
  • She was born and raised in Germany (good foreign policy experience)
  • She managed a household with 5 kids on a single income (knows how to balance a budget)
  • She only buys American cars (loyal citizen)
  • She likes playing Rock Band (great photo op possibilities)

So Mom, if you're reading this, I'd vote for you!  Now that I've covered taboo #4 I feel this blog is truly complete.  

On a more serious note, did you know politicians have a legal right to lie to voters in commercial ads?  If you don't believe me, read this interesting article from the Annenberg Political Fact Check organization (www.factcheck.org).

The Annenberg Political Fact Check is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization which 'aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics' (I know, takes all the fun out of it).  

Good luck this election year figuring it all out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Emily, I love you!!!
Mom