Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Drop It Like It's Hawt

Way back when the babies were born our pediatrician recommended we give them vitamin supplements everyday.  No brainer, I've been popping prenatal vitamins for years, of course I wanted my babies to stay adequately supplemented.

He recommended Tri Vi Sol, a combo pack of Vitamins A, D & C in liquid form.  For two solid weeks we gave this to the babies and for two solid weeks they managed to spit it out.  Folks, about 85% of the stuff is some sticky syrup crap that ended up all over the changing table.

So, I did what any self-respecting new mother would do, paid homage to the old adage: 'If it's good for the Goose, it's good for the Gaggle' (the entire flock, remember I've a flock).  Meaning, my mother didn't bother with vitamin supplements when I was growing up and I turned out just fine (depending on the day).

At the babies' 9 month check-up our doctor asked if we were still giving daily vitamin supplements, which started a conversation about the actual necessity of them.  In summary,  vitamin D was all he really cared about and if there was a simple vitamin D supplement he'd be happy if that was all they were getting at this point.

Folks, there is and it's called Ddrops for babies.  I found them at the Health Barn, a local health store.  It's simple vitamin D in liquid form preserved in coconut oil, minus the sticky syrup.

One drop has the daily recommended 400 IU dose and can be applied to a bottle, pacifier, spoon or breast (if breastfeeding).  I'm proud to say it's tasteless and something we've been doing for more than two weeks.

I sneak it in during breakfast usually with the applesauce or yogurt.  The best part about it, one bottle contains 365 drops!  That's a 6 month supply for a twin mom, meaning I only have to worry about running out of this stuff twice a year instead of every month with the Tri Vi Sol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I am going to find this! I'm glad to see it is "D3" too because THAT is the kind you need for immunity boosting. You go momma!
Sarah