Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Painfully Clean

Yesterday we bought the babies their very first toothbrushes.  I've been on the fence about introducing this new routine.  My original thought centered on saving all big routine changes for their first birthday and stun them senseless with a 'shock-n-awe' approach to toddler-hood.  Imagine full on cow's milk served in a cup (goodbye bottles), hello teeth brushing, and one long afternoon nap replacing my cherished morning nap-a-thon.

Yet, for some reason I found myself in the grocery store buying a pair of toothbrushes and some fluoride-free toothpaste.  Okay, not so completely random.  Mirabelle just cut her first top tooth and Finn is sprouting two more chompers.

Last night, after bath time, Dave and I introduced the babies to the fine art of brushing one's gums and hopefully a tooth or two.  I'm happy to report there was a good bit of 'shock-n-awe' for mommy and daddy to enjoy.  There were no tears and a lot of curious grabbing and tentative tongue exploration (from Mirabelle of course, she still insists on tasting all new objects).

We'll give it another try tonight, who knows, we might just make it a habit.


Going in for the kill.



Either very impressed with this new teeth brushing thing, 
or mesmerized by her own beauty in the mirror.



Yes, there is a reason why Mommy had Daddy do the dirty deed
 (I scar them enough during the day, Daddy needs equal billing in that category).



We're almost certain he LOVES it, he just doesn't know it yet!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Love the expressions. Don't worry - they'll still look that way when they are older too. I think it's the tooth brushing stare.